GSoC: The start of something ....
So, I think drdanz covered the official description of my project in his blog, which was to
"...create a completely asynchronous modular and extensible system that enriches messages before they’re displayed to the user. These includes embedding images and videos from links, Translating messages, (re)-formatting them nicely, reading out loud etc."
Let me go into a bit of detail on what that actually means. Let's take for example the the Image plugin in Kopete: when a user sends a link to an image it downloads downloads, scales and embeds the image directly in the chat window. Before my friends found out about this and abused it (and even afterwards when they eventually got bored of it), this was a very useful plugin. It made the conversation much more interesting to look at (instead of being a dull wall of text and timestamps), and it meant that most times I didn't have to actually click on it and open a browser to see what they meant.
I wanted this functionality in KTp, so I quickly tweaked/hacked the code that processes incomming messages in ktp-text-ui to stick the link in an <img> tag. So the end result looked like this:
And a another screenshot here.
- Web Integration
- Bookmarks - automatically make bookmarks of recieved links
- Image - embed previews of links to images in chat
- YouTube - embed or generate previews for youtube links in chat
- Bugzilla - (or other KDE specific stuff) show title and description of link to bug
- Wikipedia - Embed first paragraph (and image) from links to Wikipedia
- Description - Embed title and image (like facebook and google+ does when sharing) of an any incoming link.
- Mailto - Replace email addresses in messages with appropriate mailto: links.
- Translator - translates incoming and outgoing messages to predefined languages
- Jouvie plugin - option to automatically read out messages
- Pipes - pipe messages through external program
- Auto-Replace plugin - replace user defined keywords in messages
- Search Commands - replaces commands like ‘lmgtfy:dbus tubes’ with ‘http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dbus+tubes’ before sending.
- Enhanced Display
- Highlight - highlight messages based on criteria
- Latex - renders incoming latex in window
- GTalk Formatting - turn “_this_ -or- *this*” into “this or this”
Right, I have some stuff working so far, which I'll blog about later. So hopefully by the end of this project your chat window would be much more 'enriched'.
PS: Feel free to suggest some relatively easy that could be added to that list. (On the off chance that I might finish early).
See original: GSoC: The start of something ....