Another 56K test

Dennis Rosenauer drosenau@mccaw-stg.com
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gang..

Well we conducted another 56K packet test last Saturday.  Since there was
a nominal plan to go over to the Bremerton Junque Sale, we decided we should
pay a visit to Gold Mtn and have a look at 220 packet machine there to see
what might need to be done for the upcoming change over to 9.6K.

I suggested taking the 56K gear along and seeing if we could work the Mt.
Seymour 56K repeater from Gold Mtn.

After the swap-meet and lunch N7IPB, WA7FUS, N7RIG, WA7QFR any myself head
up the mountain.  Many snide comments about peoples sordid pasts were made
between vehicles on 146.48 simplex.  Upon arriving at the Gold Mtn site
and unpacking the gear we attempted to hear 56K signals from Canada.  Nothing,
bugger all, not a sausage...  We had a fairly large 440 MHz antenna about
10 feet above the roof of the equipment building on Gold and after messing
around with a compass several times we gave up and concluded that the Gold
Mtn. site where the 220 packet machine is located wouldn't work.

The next stop was a site further to the north.  It is still Gold Mtn
but there are many sites.  We had a ridge to the north of us and thought
we should try to get on that ridge.

Upon arriving at the more notherly site, we set up the 56K gear to operate
on batteries.  We didn't have any power on this site apart from an inverter
running in one of the vehicles.  On batteries we couldn't decode packets
since we needed a PI Board running in a computer, but we could look for
signal strength and see if we acquired received 56K clock lock.

The first test showed nothing, we moved the antenna to get more into the
clear.  WE HAD SIGNAL STRENGTH SHOWING..  A little antenna tweaking and
we had clock lock!!!

Now we had a logistics problem, we needed AC power to run the computer
but the antenna had to be out in the clear.  A little maneouvering with
Ken's 4x4 and we were within extension cord reach.  After playing adapter
tag to extend the antenna cable a bit more, we were able to leave
the antenna where it seemed to work best and connect a computer to the modem.

After some more tweaking.... WE SAW PACKETS... We decoded pings from the
Mt. Seymour 56K repeater in Canada.  The path was 120 miles.  The path was
very marginal, but it did work.  We must have had at least 10 dB of feedline
loss as well.

A sucessful afternoon indeed.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dennis.

--
Dennis Rosenauer			AT&T Wireless Services
drosenau@mccaw-stg.com			Strategic Technology Group