Fw: 900 Commercial Spread Spectrum

Steve Stroh steve@strohpub.com
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:03:34 -0800

Hello Bob:

While the Puget Sound Amateur Radio TCP/IP Group has had a number of "show
and tell" of various 900 MHz radios and systems, including surplus Part 15
radios and CDPD modems, the units that Bill was referring to are almost
certainly Ricochet modems.

We've also discussed in depth the 900 MHz Spread Spectrum radio that Tucson
Amateur Packet Radio (TAPR) is developing - details are at
http://www.tapr.org/ss.

There are a number of Amateurs in the Seattle using Ricochet.  In the
PSARTG, there are at least 8 Ricochet users (including myself), and they've
been put to some imaginative uses.

The story I've heard about Metricom's founding was that it was founded by
Paul Baran.  I'd be curious to hear more about Metricom's history.

Steve Stroh N8GNJ