APRS

Steve Stroh steve@strohpub.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:41:57 -0700

(General note - I, for one, vote to have the "Reply To: on seatcp messages
set to reply to the list. It's not like the list is overwhelmed with
chatter - too much the opposite, in my opinion. Bring back the ReplyTo:
seatcp@wetnet.ampr.org)

Bill's opinion on APRS resonates with me - if it wasn't so darn useful it
would be easy to poke fun at. And I did, for too long, and shame on me - I
didn't get it.

It's really amazing what can and is being done with APRS.

I became a convert when my daughter went into grade school and I
volunteered for the emergency preparedness committee... and then realized
just how vulnerable our amateur packet network is (I won't go into the
details - you can guess...)

APRS, on the other hand is very widely deployed (except on Hollywood Hill
in Woodinville- I _am_ working on it guys), well understood, easy to use,
and it _just works_. The short messaging is what really hooked me on it.
In short, it's a GREAT tactical tool for emergency, and casual, communications.

Steve Stroh N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh   steve@strohpub.com   Woodinville, Washington USA
Learn, Share, Grow, and Enjoy!