On at last - more

Ken Koster seatcp@wetnet.ampr.org
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:19:29 -0700

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, Bill Vodall wrote:
> Finally, I have a dedicated Linux box on the Wetnet
> network.  It's taken 3+ years in Redmond and even
> a new home for a place to set up some antennas.

Congratulations.

> Configuring a Linux box for Wetnet is a bit tricky.
> At lease in JNOS everything is in one file.

> DNS on RF might be a bit flakey.  I think I'm going to
> cheat.  Will use the ISP's DNS as a backup and poke a
> single hole in the routing for it.
>
> Wetnet (44.24.110.35) is the primary DNS?  Or is it
> Northgate - 44.24.110.1?

Normally Northgate should work, it's configured as a cacheing
secondary and uses Wetnet as it's primary.
However,  go ahead and cheat until we can figure out a way to
get wetnet better connected on 110 lan.  Right now the rf path is
really acting flaky.

> So far I'm stricly on Northgate UHF with a Kentronics
> Dataengine and D410 radio.  Four serial ports with
> dual TNC's per port.  Eight links should be enough to
> keep things interesting in the future..

One would think so.  :-)

> Antenna is an omni Comet GP-6 that's too low.  Current
> ping test results:
>
> 100  56 byte packets to Northgate - 84 %
> 100  56 byte packets to Wetnet    - 73 %
> 100 240 byte packets to Northgate - 71 %
> 100 240 byte packets to Wetnet    - 35 %

Yup,  Wetnet has a problem with Northgate.  It started a month or
so ago and we speculate that it's do to the time of year, trees etc.
We just don't have enough link margin on that path.

Ken,  N7IPB

--
Motorola				Email:  koster@seattle.css.mot.com
Seattle Cellular Design Center 	Office: (425) 487-8854