SETI...... and their computer equipment =)

Craig Petersen seatcp@wetnet.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:20:17 -0700

Greetings Gary, your mail bounced because I have the entire verizon domain
blocked to keep spammers at bay. But I have put your e-mail address in my
access file so it should pass through now.

Anyhow, here is the scoop on getting the ultra to run in 64 bit mode and
getting the drive to work...

For 64 bit operation on a Ultra 1 you will need to only edit 1 file ( need to
be root). The file /platform/sun4u/boot.conf must have the following line
uncommented:

ALLOW_64BIT_KERNEL_ON_UltraSPARC_1_CPU=true

For correcting the "bad magic number" problem with the hard drive you need to
do the following.

Boot off CD in single user mode, run format and relabel the disk.

To boot into single user mode from the CD should be..    boot cdrom -s

If that dosen't work you could probally boot from the CD, let the install
fail, then format and relabel the disk from there.

There are several sun news groups you may want to subscribe to. They can
sometimes provide a wealth of info. Plus, the Solaris Developer Connection is
an exelent place to find technical articles..

comp.sys.sun.admin
comp.sys.sun.apps
comp.sys.sun.hardware
comp.sys.sun.misc
comp.sys.sun.wanted

The url for the Solaris Developer Connection is..

http://soldc.sun.com