Wetnet Refocus?

Steve Stroh lists at strohpub.com
Fri Nov 7 21:09:44 PST 2003

I mostly concur with Bill's statements. He's done more "real world" looking
at the extended Wetnet system, and doing varied and useful things with it,
than the rest of us.

I'm coming around to the idea that in Amateur Packet Radio (IE - 1200/9600)
that in the main, we need a better transport layer. Yes, native TCP/IP can
be made to work, but that's all that can be said for it.

I'm willing to be convinced that Net/ROM, ported to run on Linux, can be
reliable as a transport layer. My last experience with Net/ROM was with the
TNC-based versions. What turned me off was the endless bickering of what
proper parameters should be, with no consensus being reached. Sounds like
that's mostly over.

What appeals to me is the potential to use a flat network with essentially
no subnets needed. Face it - we don't NEED subnets because of our low user
count. I should be able to know, with a resolution of ten minutes or so,
who's on the network and what their status is.

Going forward, in addition to the work Bill and others are doing with
Net/ROM, I'm going to start checking out FLEXNet - I've held off way too
long taking a serious look at what it can add, and with Bill's insights I'm
finally beginning to appreciate its attributes.

There's room in our network for some serious diversity and divergence of
opinion and direction of growth.

Thanks,

Steve

--