Web Cache and more

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Sat Nov 22 21:55:06 PST 2003

A discussion today led to an interesting thought...

A portable server (Jeep Gate / MiniItx), in addition
to providing some basic TCP and Web services, can
provide a complete mirror of useful web sites.

For example:

  wetnet.net
  tapr.org
  amsat.org
  slashdot.org
  strohpub.com

Doing this as a stand alone mirror is trivial as I
do now for wetnet:   http://www.jnos.org/wetnet

Another alternative would be to some how convince
Squid to preload the page.  Maybe run through the
desired pages on a regular basis and configure Squid
to hold them in Cache for an extended time -- say 24 hours.

There has to be a better way.  Some technique that gives the
transparent access of Squid  ( url == http://www.wetnet.net )
yet holding the pages in memory to minimize the mirroring
web traffic.  A combination of rsync and squid.

I've heard the Cable companies do this to speed up access.

Any suggestions on the technologies used?   My MiniItx now
has about 100 GB of space to be put to use.

73 & Tnx...
Bill - WA7NWP