The ARES Takeover -- and Why...

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Thu Dec 23 19:07:15 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 06:12:26PM -0800, Bill Vodall wrote:

> > The FCC has a bzip2 version?  URL?
>
> *linux*
>
> It's in every linux I've seen for the past X years...

I meant URL for the FCC bz2 files.  I have bunzip2.  All I see on the
fcc website is zip.  I use Xastir's fcc-get file run monthly by a cron
job and bz2 would probably help a bit.  I suppose there is a tradeoff
depending on network speed and CPU speed, since bunzip2 is a bit slower
than unzip.

> Anybody else on here want to join me in a petition to the FCC asking them
> to respond favorably to the HSMM (cough cough) petition that we get rid
> of the restrictions on encription for VHF and above...

Which gets violated quite often, I suspect.