SeaPac & Field Day - changes in my plans!

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Sun Jun 11 21:46:53 PDT 2006

Well, it looks like I'm not going to SeaPac this year.  And it's my mom's
fault.  Well, more like her doc's.  He decided to have her heart tested to
see if it was up to a somewhat elective surgery for sleep apnea.  She
flunked the test.

Early Friday morning, my mom had quadruple bypass surgery.  My dad's unable
to do some of the things that might be needed to take care of her.  My
sister and husband are out of town.  So guess who's elected!

So no Seaside, and probably no Field Day, at least not for my usual level
of commitment.

I will be working on assembling at least a couple of stations worth of
radios for Field Day, and will arrange for the parts of the rhombic not
already at Richard's to get there.   I may even be able to spend a lot of
the weekend there.  But I'll effectively have to be on-call for a quick
departure.  I've talked to Doug, K7IP, about honchoing that station, but
he's not firmly committed to do it yet.  It's a lot of work to put up the
full 500' long rhombic, and I'd sure understand if anyone didn't commit to
doing that.

I've got a pair of switchable bandpass filters on order, that are supposed
to be here before Field Day.  I'm interested in seeing if they provide
enough isolation to run a multiband antenna on more than one band at a
time, and if they arrive in time, I'll spend some quality lab time at work
doing measurements.  At the very least, they should contain broadband
noise within the selected band, and reduce harmonics even more, helping to
keep the lower frequency stations out of the higher frequency stations'
receivers, even if they're used on separate stations.

73, Bob, KD7NM