NSLU2

Steve Stroh steve at stevestroh.net
Mon Mar 27 21:21:20 PST 2006

Thanks for the reminder, Bill. I updated my blog posting to include the
information if you want to see the context -
http://www.bwianews.com/2006/03/impressions-of-spring-von-2006.html

Excerpt from original post:

The "half" exhibitor was Brian Capouch, a well-known Asterisk developer
whose full time job is minting telecom engineers with extensive
hands-on experience with Asterisk. At VON's Asterisk "booth"
(pavillion?) Capouch was showing off a $25 Netgear Wi-Fi access point
onto which he has ported Asterisk. This AP has a USB port, the radio
section is a Mini-PCI card (easily upgraded) and the processor runs at
200 MHz. Access to the system is via Wi-Fi (antenna is connectorized so
an external high-gain antenna is easy.) Voice mail files are stored on
a cheap USB memory stick - 256 MB will hold a lot of voice mail. To
interface to Plain Old Telephone (POTS) equipment such as telephones,
Analog Telepone Adapters (ATAs; convert Ethernet to POTS) have four
Ethernet ports on the system to connect to. (The "booth babes" hanging
out near Capouch dissed the Grandstream 101 VOIP (Ethernet) phone -
they claim that @ $50, it simply doesn't sound that good.

Update 3/27/2006 - More info from Brian Capouch regarding the cheap
NetGear Wi-Fi Access point onto which he had ported Asterisk:

I call my abstraction the "phonenode." I'm thinking of using it as the
name for my distro. It's a combination network node and mini-PBX.

I'm working on a zero-configuration version, too; just drop it in, it
calls home and configures itself. You then hit a button on the browser
and go, or pick up the phone and make a call.

The project is based on "openWGT," which was done by a German student
beginning with the "openWRT" code. I took it, added in code to set up
for Asterisk (as well as the webcam stuff, customized drivers for the
Atheros chipset to allow for ACK-timeout tweaking, and some other
custom stuff that makes life easier) and from there generated the
firmware image that is on my boxes.

The model number of the Netgear box I'm using is WGT634U. It's still in
production but bound to be near EOL. Available refurbished from a
pretty wide variety of places; justdeals.com is my favorite right now.
They sell thousands of them, btw, from what my salesman tells me.

I've also gotten them at CompUPlus and a few other online vendors, one
of them selling through Amazon.

We're working on the documentation. A student at George Mason has has a
basic page up at phonenode.blogspot.com and I have the domain name
phonenode.org. I'll be working with him over the next few weeks to do
the best I can at documenting what I am doing with the boxes.

Another piece in the puzzle of do-it-yourself-telephone companies is
number lookups - see www.freenum.org. John Todd is the genius behind
that one, and also an important figure in the Asterisk community.
freenum, as well as a related effort at e164.org, are trying to
establish the fabric that will be needed for "universal
interconnectivity" amongst all the flood of new mom-and-pop telcos.

It's very exciting. . .

[I'll say!!! - SKS]

Thanks,

Steve

On Mar 22, 2006, at 10:58, wa7nwp at jnos.org wrote:

<snip>

> I learned last night there's a NetGear AP selling for around $25 that
> has
> a USB port and has been hacked for embedded Linux.  It will be good to
> find the exact model number (hey Steve S...) and check it out.

<snip>

> Bill

---

Steve Stroh