jabber setup

Jeff Francis™ jfrancis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:52:40 PST 2007

  ssh is your friend if you have outgoing firewall issues:

  ssh -C -L 5222:jabber.wetnet.net:5222 some.outside.machine

  Then point your jabber client at port 5222 on your own machine.  If you
also can't ssh out on port 80, you'll have to run an external ssh server on
port 80 somewhere, then do:

  ssh -C -L 5222:jabber.wetnet.net:5222 -p 80 some.outside.machine

  Newer ssh implementation can also do some neat stuff with 'tun' (see '-w'
option).  If your employer restricts your web browsing at work (or you
simply don't want them being nosy), check out the '-D' option to ssh (and
don't forget to tunnel your DNS requests while you're at it).

  If you're running windows, consider upgrading to Ubuntu. ;^)

On 12/3/07, Steve <s.monsey at att.net> wrote:

> Is the WetNet Jabber set up on Port 80 as well? Hence firewall issues....
>
> Steve N0FPF
>
> At 06:54 AM 12/3/2007, you wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, ac7yy wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone help me register/connect to the wetnet jabber server?
> > > I have tried both gaim and gabber clients. I am using
> jabber.wetnet.net
> > > for the server, port # 5223 and wetnet as resource
> > > I am using my wetnet username and password.
> >
> >I've used both PSI and Gajim from work and home, currently using
> >Gajim.
> >
> >Account setup:
> >
> >   Use SSL (legacy) - NOT SET
> >   Hostname: wetnet.net
> >   Port: 5222
> >   Send keep-alive packets - SET
> >   Jabber ID: we7u at jabber.wetnet.net
> >   Password: ____________
> >   Save password: - SET
> >   Resource : Gajim-home or Gajim-work (to keep work/home separate)
> >

> >--
> >Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/>     XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
> >   "Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
> >"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U
> >The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!

-=jeff=-