Fwd: AXIP networking

Kelly Black kb0gbj at penguinpackets.com
Thu Dec 6 14:33:12 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:27:25AM -0600, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
> Anybody else on here on SEATCP have any interesting in doing some
> packet experimenting?  this will be with RF and IP backbones.

Sure.  If you don't mind you packets coming out in Golden Valley MN.  I
still use packet daily.  It fills in the big gaps in the day when the
cable internet service is down :-)

I have wanted to link what is going on here in the Minneapolis / St. Paul
MN area to other folks if there is interest.  Some of the info on what can
be found to use is here:

www.14567.org

and here:

http://wb0tra.no-ip.org/mn_pkt.php

I am running an experemental version of this software on my local node:

citadel.org

It is a mail / chat / bbs / (you name it, it probably does it) server.  It has
both a web interface that we hope will be usefull on the D-Star high speed network
going up and a text mode client that I have a little bit of hack Python code to make
it play nice on packet.  The developers of the Citadel server have just added support
for the server to act as an XMPP chat server in the subversion mainline code and I am
messing around with getting that going on packet.  Not sure if I should spare the overhead
and write a client like part that presents plain text via a Python program that gets
spawned via the node software or just running it vanilla TCP/IP at 1200 baud.  A part of me
thinks a heavy dose of XML at 1200 baud would be a bit heavy with the overhead of TCP/IP.

Kelly
KB0GBJ