XO update

Jeff Stevens jeff at mossycup.com
Sat Dec 22 04:17:12 PST 2007

Bill,

Glad you are having fun with the XO.  My housemate Kevin received his
about a week ago and I've had a bit of time to play.  We actually
struggled a bit to get the wireless networking functional.  Eventually
we just put an open AP on the air (no WEP/WPA) and the XO was fine.  I
kept wanting to delve into the terminal and use the lower level tools to
troubleshoot the network issues.  Kevin insisted on using the graphical
network diagram -- after all a kid should be able to do it.

I'm quite impressed with the screen resolution.  Turn the backlight off,
rotate the screen, and even with that small screen PDFs are a pleasure
to read a full page at a time.

Not sure if you are aware of the extent that python is melded to the XO.
The vast majority of userspace code (save X, evince, etc) is all written
in pygtk with a custom widget set.  It's as close to running python on
bare metal as any project out there.

-Jeff
KE7FRJ