My moonbounce messaging fantasy

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 30 15:31:18 PST 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Steve Stroh wrote:

> A few of you have heard this, but decided to open myself up for
> further criticism and ridicule :-)
>
> I've always loved the idea of moonbounce, not for the utility, but for
> the sheer geek cred of having YOUR signal bouncing off the moon.
>
> My ultimate would be to have things good enough (really good DSP?)
> that you could have a relatively simple set of antennas track the moon
> as it waxes and wanes, and as long as the moon is in view, you would
> be monitoring it for "chatting" - QSOs, etc.
>
> Seems to me that would be the ultimate messaging system - that you
> would have to have serious tech cred to even "get into the system".
>
> Not a project for this year... but perhaps to be started on next year.

Hmmm...  Not that I'm against ridicule for ridicule's sake, but you
didn't give me enough of a handle to really go after you.  ;-)

Doug:  Was it you that was telling me that someone was doing such a
thing with one of the advanced digital modes, like Wisper or
something?  Maybe it was Ken that told me that.

Steve:  This whole concept might be closer than you think...  Would
we then have to point it at a particular sector in order to get into
various "chat rooms"?  hi hi