It's better then Echolink...

Larry da Ponte n7bcp.larry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:49:56 PDT 2009

Yes this is VOIP with a ham radio facade but I'm going to try it out
in the name of all things digital and fun - no risk.  Registration was
fairly simple - upload a bitmap of my FCC license to qsonet.com and
registration was approved within a couple of hours.  Registration
process was interrupted last night when their web site appeared to go
off line (no longer responding to ping) - resumed registration in the
am without error.  Tonight I downloaded the virtual radio app and
logged into qsonet.com.  The radio app looks like an image of a radio
with a spectrum display and dials that you spin with your mouse (bare
with me).  It was obvious where others were on the "band" by watching
the spectrum display and I could click on the signal to tune there and
listen to the QSO in progress.  Again, their server appears to be down
as after a couple of minutes the radio "disconnected" and again their
server no longer responds to pings.  The feeling is similar to surfing
IRC rooms only using voice.  So - I'll give a review if/when their
servers come back.

73s
Larry
N7BCP

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Jeremy McDermond
<mcdermj at xenotropic.com> wrote:
> I have this great new way of getting on the HF bands!  I use this device
> that has a keypad on it.  A bunch of guys have worked out a system where
> each country is assigned its own numeric code, and even many US states have
> a sub-code of the US one.  You dial a person's unique number and you get an
> instant QSO!  None of the fading, or even that pesky static!  I sat down one
> night and got my DXCC in a couple of hours!  It's really put the enjoyment
> back in radio for me!
>
> On Oct 13, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
>
>> This one gives me mixed feelings...   yes it's great to get on (the
>> air/ the web) and talk with fellow hams but when something is getting
>> a better review because "you don't have to deal with ports and
>> settings" it takes what little bit of technology is left out of the
>> situation.
>>
>>  http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2009/10/13/11134/
>>
>> The fact that the ARRL is actually posting this also gives some mixed
>> feelings..
>>
>> Bill

> Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
> Xenotropic Systems