Friday question - minimum PC - CPU/RAM for virtualization

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:39:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Bob Nielsen <n7xy at clearwire.net> wrote:
> Several months ago I bought my first PC in several years (good timing, as a
> couple of those I had been using for years started acting up not long after
> this).
>
> Refurb HP Pavillion with AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+ (2.66 GHz), 3 GB RAM, 500 GB
> hard drive, Vista Home Premium.  $360 at Newegg.
>
> I have upgraded it a bit with a second 500 GB drive, new video card and
> enough RAM to bring it up to 6 GB (and Win 7 on order) so I am currently at
> slightly over $500.  Not bad in comparison to my $2200 (1985 dollars) Compaq
> DeskPro, 8086, 256K, two floppies.

If I needed another shack PC today - I would stop at Redmonds Computer
Surplus on the way home from work and pick up another IBM 8183.
$200 gives a system with 1.25 GB RAM, 40 GB HD and XP.   Another $40
would bring it up to a 2 GB RAM system.   Not great for an online
price but good enough for me considering the added benefits of instant
gratification from picking it off the shelf and taking it home as well
as buying local.

  <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=HGa&ei=8bDXSp6fEonqtgPG1OmFBg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAoQBSgA&q=computer+surplus+redmond+wa&spell=1>

Their store is better (in the important ways) then their website.

This is currently the fastest PC in the house...

Bill - WA7NWP

> P4.   Adequate RAM (up to 2 GB) and CPU (2.6 GHz).    Nice small size.
>  Two serial ports..   Looks like a good addition to the packet server
> farm..

also