Mesh Config in North Texas

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Oct 21 14:06:07 PDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> fyi - The North Texas HSMM group is making good progress with their
> Mesh implementation...

I may have to look into this group a little, but the message is kinda
confusing.  Knowing a bit about BGP from running the network for an
service provider and having deal with it on a daily basis, I'm not
sure that they understand it really well.  For example, using the term
"BGP Broadcast."  One of the characteristics of BGP is that unlike RIP
which uses broadcasts, or OSPF which uses multicast, BGP runs over
normal TCP sessions, and they all have to be set up beforehand.
There's no ad-hoc BGP peering, your router config has to have the IP
addresses of every single BGP peer that you intend to connect with.
I'm not sure this lends itself to mesh networking really well.  It
seems to me as if Tom and his crew in Western Washington are going in
a better direction looking at Batman.  It seems like some interesting
software, and I'm anxious to see how they get things running over there.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com