Quick Dstar Repeater

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 19:11:20 PDT 2009

Here's a DStar trick that will make some of the old KISS users on here
chuckle...

Bill - WA7NWP

PS.  That should be usable on the SNP repeater pairs here.  Oh wait -
digital isn't allowed there.   :-(

----

If you already have a D-Star transceiver, I found that you can create
a really cheap D-Star repeater with that ONE radio, by connecting the
serial Rx and Tx lines together (this is traditionally called a "wrap
plug").  Any digital data received will be buffered (up to 200 bytes
on the ID-800H) and retransmitted after the originating radio unkeys.

This technique can be used on a simplex frequency, or (with local
coordination) on a repeater duplex pair. As I noted above, messages
should be shorter than the “repeater” radio’s transmit buffer.

It works perfectly!   And it's perfect for a temporary repeater in an
emergency situation.

Note that there are "control operator" issues which must be addressed,
for compliance with FCC part 97.

Tom K6TGT