Open DSTAR

Scott Honaker scotthon at pilchuckvet.com
Thu Sep 10 18:43:37 PDT 2009

This is some cool stuff.  I have to say I'm a bit skeptical.  He mentions
9600 baud bandwidth but the DSTAR channel is only 4800 baud and 1200 of
that is data (callsign, routing, positions, etc.).  DSTAR DV mode voice is
only 2400 baud with 1200 baud for FEC.  That's a TOUGH target.  It seems
more likely he could come up with something similar with more bandwidth but
a drop-in replacement board would require matching those specs.  It's quite
a task but a major achievement if he pulls it off.

I like the added bass comments.  When I bought my first big screen TV, I
compared a couple models during a sale.  One of them was the Pioneer Elite
model that was hand tuned for PERFECT color accuracy.  The Sony XBR was the
other model we liked (for much less money) but Sony only promised accurate
skin tones.  As much as I wanted to like the perfect reproduction of the
Pioneer, it looked so flat compared to the fully saturated color of the
Sony.  My wife had no interest in the "accuracy" and the price difference
won me over.  We bought the Sony.  Sure, it was just candy for the eyes or
"marketing" but it clearly looked better.

Scott N7SS