FYI - Amazing ! Multispsk with SDR 48 Khz RS ID

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Feb 15 19:18:02 PST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> Steadily the new SDR technology is opening up how we do things.   But
> .. as was recently mentioned by another .. is there really anything
> new and different being done?  Where's the wide data?
>
> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP

If it makes you feel any better, I've finally gotten my OpenHPSDR rig put together on the receive side, and am starting to do some working and programming with it.  I really need to get some sources on DSP, and specifically digital modulation techniques and stuff.

I recently finished a first cut at replacing the USB code of the ghpsdr client for Linux so that it uses native MacOS X IOKit USB calls instead.  You can see a video of the client running for a few minutes on my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nojqdSS1fCA

I spent most of the weekend reworking the code and pushing things into Objective C and creating a Mac user interface so that we might have a native Mac client soon.

Still yet, though, these are really new ways of doing the same thing my IC-746 can do.  That being said, I've found the waterfall interface on the SDR to be really nice to have.  It's great to see 192KHz of band and be able to actually identify SSB signals by site, and to have a subreceiver that I can click on to the signal.  It's not implemented in the upper level computer code right now, but there is the provisions for the OpenHPSDR firmware to send you up to 7 swaths of bandwidth at the same time on completely different bands.  Unfortunately, this might exceed the capabilities of a single machine to demodulate simultaneously.

Anyhow, I'll continue playing with it and let you guys know if I come up with anything super-exciting.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com