14567... Minnesota Network

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Feb 15 19:37:24 PST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> Thanks to Mr Stroh, I was privileged to watch the presentation from
> DCC 08 about the Emergency Minnesota Amateur Radio Network.  A good
> talk and I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it.
>
> They basically came to the same conclusions we have -- and then they
> went on and actually built it...
>
> The key that made it work was the 1.2 G DStar ID-1.   Beyond that
> they're leveraging Part 15 wifi and Motorola gear, web sites and
> packet for a backup.   Using the Internet as part of the emergency
> plan isn't part of their play...  What a concept!

Their stuff actually looks kinda interesting as far as data networking goes.  It's interesting to note how persnickety 1.2GHz seems to be as a band.

I have to admit that I waded a little bit into the D-STAR realm a couple of months back and picked up an ID-880H for the car.  Still working with it and learning about it, but it has to be said that the local New England D-STAR folks are some of the friendliest I've met on Amateur Radio.  I'll be trying to write up a blurb on my web page at some point in time about my D-STAR experiences.  I'm interested in possibly setting up a homebrew D-STAR repeater when I get back to Oregon since it seems like there are only a couple in the state, both of which are out of range of Corvallis.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com