HF Data - yet again

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:22:41 PST 2010

Charles and crew are at it on the BPQ32 list...   I knew this addition
of WINMOR as a standalone TNC was going to shake things up and it's
starting...

FWIW - here's my spin...

----

My proposal...

I believe the "attended" paradigm is flawed to start with -- since the
assumption is that the attended user will be able to listen to what
the unattended station hears.

I believe we should rather differentiate between the human manual
users that generate little data and the sometimes aggressive yet
totally patient when it comes to retries computer systems that are big
data generators.

I believe we should double (at least) the computer segments (was
unattended segments) and then move all the computers out of the human
segments...   Voice ops have gained considerable bandwidth over the
past few years so it wouldn't be a big loss to lose 10 or 20 KHz.

While we're at it, let's open up the bandwidth of signals in the
computer segments to be limited to the entire segment...   I believe
the professors in the group would be able to argue that wide-weak-fast
data is more efficient in bytes per KHz per time then the current
narrow-slow systems we currently use.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP