The Pretty Perfect PC

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:12:02 PST 2010

> http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/X27D.html

With electricity over 10 cents per KWh - these more efficient PC's are
looking better all the time.   My last power bill scared me so I
turned off two of the 'big PC's' and a couple more will be going to
the recycle store along with my last two CRT monitors tomorrow.

Ken - what was that new little MiniItx you had at brunch a couple weeks ago?

Seeing the TNC boot message appear on the NSLU2's terminal session was
pretty exciting.   It won't be the same any more when using the big
power hogs..   With a little luck I'll fix the broken update (they had
the shared library dependcies wrong - don't update WGET BEFORE
installing a library that it relies on) and be compiing JNOS and
DIGI_NED on the slug RSN.

It was also interesting to see that the 8 GB SSD 2.5" drives were at
$100 at Amazon.   That's still more expensive then doing it with a CF
card and $10 adapter board but it's probably faster and much easier to
mount.

Never have we had such techy toys to play with!

73
Bill - WA7NWP