Data Radio

Steve Stroh steve at stevestroh.net
Mon Mar 15 12:24:14 PDT 2010

Bill:

You're correct that the Maxon is radio-only; no data - a TNC'ish
device is still needed.

As to the ID-1 taking off "if only" half the current price, I disagree.

If it's not the price of the ID-1 that's scaring people off from using
it, it would be the use of the 1.2 GHz band.

If it's not the use of the 1.2 GHz band, it would be the lack of 1.2
GHz repeaters.

If it's not the lack of 1.2 GHz repeaters, it would be the lack of
enough other ID-1 users to communicate with.

If it's not the lack of enough other ID-1 users to communicate with,
it would be that 128 Kbps half duplex is too slow.

If it's not that 128 Kbps half duplex is too slow, it would be...
something else.

There's an endless list of "if onlies" in Amateur Radio.

If you don't like the ID-1 as is... don't buy it. With the absence of
your dollars you'll certainly be sending Icom a lesson that you're not
willing to pay that much for a data radio.

But you'll also be sending Icom a message that you aren't interested
in doing high speed networking on Amateur Radio frequencies.

And you'll be sending the Amateur Radio industry at large a message
that there's no point in making a semi-capable high-speed data radio
for Amateur Radio operators even IF a higher price is justified to do
high speed and higher frequency at high power.

And you'll be sending the wireless industry a message that the Amateur
Radio 1.24 - 1.30 GHz band is fair game for poaching, akin to 220-222
MHz because we're not doing very much with it given that the most
popular 1.2 GHz radio to date, the ID-1, is still a tiny niche
product...

Because Bill thinks it's too expensive.

Thanks,

Steve