Data Radio

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 10:56:29 PDT 2010

> I was reading someone's review of the ID-1 system yesterday and they brought
> up a good point... there's nothing that ID-1 can do that another cheaper
> device can't.  Looking at all the pieces that the system is built on, the
> only thing that I see missing is a decent 1.2Ghz data radio.  The GMSK modem
> is already available by third party and the manufacture still sells the
> actual GMSK modem chips for cheap.

One could spend hundreds of hours and save hundreds of dollars...
That's a good deal for somebody into research and playing with the
technology.   It doesn't work at all if the job at hand is to build a
network.   For what it does - the ID-1 is unique today.

> I can understand the point of wanting to be able to build on other people's
> money... er... infrastructure.  But by not pushing forward with new
> technology (whether it be JARL based or not), we're not exactly building our
> case for utilization of the bands.

The ID-1 is certainly not the end, but rather the beginning of what we can do.

> Has there been any talk by a non-profit amateur organization to talk to a
> company like Ubiquity in regards to an equipment donation?  We have the
> licensing, knowledge base and authority to build a wide area HSMM network.

> But are we really doing our part to make that vision happen?

There is no vision today.    Fifteen years ago Wetnet had a glorious
project building IP networks that covered the Puget Sound region.
That was before 12 Megabit Internet was less then $50 a month to the
home.  Today there is no group goal to build any sort of network.
Could we?  Sure.  Should we - you bet.  It's only a matter of time
until the aliens land, Mt Rainier explodes, the Cascadia Fault
subducts and the population realize that the Feds have spent far more
money then they really have...  Then it will be a very good thing to
have communications with others in the region.

Folks, my self included, are working on bits and pieces of good new
things but there is not yet an unified plan or vision.

So far the best examples of what can be done, that I know of, come
from Minnesota (http://14567.org/ ) and Michigan -
(http://www.mi-drg.org/ )

>  Otherwise we might as well develop/utilize the slow lane technologies (AX25/PSK31/etc..)

Which is exactly what's happening now with WL2K, WinMor, NBEMS, etc.

> until WiMax hardware starts showing up in surplus bins...

It will be interesting if that's hackable and something we can more to
'our' frequencies.

73
Bill - WA7NWP