Fwd: [44Net] gateway updates - HIGHSPEED HAMNET

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Tue Mar 23 23:25:58 PDT 2010

It is the next logical progression after they enabled RIP routing on
44net.  But it may be overkill right now considering they just turned on
RIP.

BGP by the way stands for Border Gateway Protocol.  It's mainly used
between ISP's and Carrier level internet routers to say "Hi, I'm
Amprnet!  You can reach me by these BGP neighbors"  As opposed to
RIP/OSPF which goes through and creates huge tables of network subnet
neighbors.

Unless most of these guys are ISP's or have some extra cash laying
around, it's going to cost $$$ to get a public AS number which makes no
sense unless they are a multi-national company hopping between large
geographic areas and networks.  They're better off setting up a private
AS number system.  Most carrier level ISP's will do private BGP to
colocation/business clients.  But having a comcast cable modem at home
probably couldn't get BGP unless it's via a VPN connection.  If you
tried, comcast might say your running a server or something that would
violate the ToS.