Fun with wireless routers

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:47:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> Is is plug and play to add the ax25 packet stack or do you intend to
> run directly serial KISS from the applications?

I'd like to run the AX.25 kernel networking ports if I can.

> Note that some of the cell phone programming cables should do the
> RS232 conversion.  The only trick is finding them at the neighborhood
> recycled cable store (aka Goodwill.)   The best doc on this I've yet
> found is the NSLU2 page -
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort

Yep.  Saw that some people had done that.  Some put a stereo 1/8" jack in the case for the TTL signals (one port), and move a cell-phone serial cable from unit to unit as they need console access.

I have some Max232 boards w/onboard 5V regulator, so used one of those inside the case (2 serial ports).  I have another max232 board rigged up for the 2nd unit after I get the DE-9 holes punched in it, but I'm waiting to see how the 1st unit behaves in use before I open it up and start hacking.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/