AT&T emergency setup in a trunk

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:02:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Allen wrote:

> Snohomish County Red Cross already has a Sat dish for their communications
> van. Don't know how many other areas in Western Washington have something
> like this but at a price of $15,000 for 14 simultaneous calls to $45,000 for
> 100 calls I don't think even the Government will be buying many of them in
> this Economy.
>
> And with a limit of 14 calls I bet it has a way to lock it down to EMCOMM
> users. Don't think it will get Grandma's cell phone workingJ

Just curious, what could one do with a DirectWay or similar satellite internet connection and an Asterisk setup for VOIP?

What could one do for the user-end phone system?  Have a bank of phones that you set outside the truck (for the Asterisk + satellite setup, not the AT&T cellphone-in-a-trunk setup)?

I suppose the delays over satellite are going to be quite annoying to voice calls (but they would in any satellite-based voice system).

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"