Gifting books on the kindle...

Jeff Francis™ jfrancis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:10:39 PST 2011

  The plus side is the Kindle lasts for weeks and weeks of reading on a
single charge.  The PDA (at least no PDA that I've ever owned) won't even
get you through a single book, much less several weeks worth of books.
 Maybe that doesn't matter if you don't read much per day, and have the
opportunity to recharge after every chapter, but for long plane flights (or
camping trips), a PDA doesn't solve the problem.

  Also, you just can't beat the huge screen of the Kindle DX.  It's
fantastic for reading.  I've never found the lack of backlight to be an
issue.  I can read my Kindle anywhere I can read a book.

  You're completely right, as far as the letter of the law.  However, I have
this really bad habit of totally ignoring completely asinine laws and rules.
 As long as I'm doing fair and reasonable things with the de-DRMed files
(ie, not giving them away for free on bittorrent, but instead using them as
I would a "real" book), I personally have no moral misgivings about ripping
them free of their DRM prison.  YMMV.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Adam Jacobs <adam at jacobs.us> wrote:

> Caution: circumventing the copy protection scheme (even on something you
> own) is illegal in the United States.
>
> My peeve about the Kindle is the lack of backlight. That's a dealbreaker
> for me and the reason I still stick to reading my ebooks on PDA.
>
> -Adam
>

> Jeff Francis™ wrote:
>
>>  Here's one of many ways to deal with that:
>>

>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/how-to-strip-drm-from-kindle-e-books-and-others/
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I've not tried it.
>>>
>>> One of the _/*big*/_ drawbacks to the Kindle is that you can't trade a
>>> book, sell a book or give away a book -- all things you can readily and
>>> easily do with a printed book.
>>>
>>> You can loan a Kindle book, but that only applies to books the publisher
>>> has specifically enabled for lending, and then there are lots of
>>> restrictions: the loan is for a 14-day period only, you must wait 7 days
>>> after loaning before you can loan it again, you must in in the United
>>> States
>>> to loan, etc.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Lyle KK7P
>>>

>>>  Has anybody tried this?   Does the resulting email just contain one of

-=jeff=-