grumpy old man streamswitching

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:20:51 PDT 2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> There's been some chat on the APRS groups about how we shouldn't
> include the tilde and bar (~ and |) in APRS packets as those are
> streamswitch characters and having them in the packet data might
> confuse the TNC for folks running programs that use CONV mode.

If it confuses the TNC, a firmware fix should be made.  It's a bug.

> Now am I just turning into a grumpy old man or is that a bit
> ridiculous and would be holding us back in the 1980's?

I agree.  Then again, maybe we shouldn't be doing TCP/IP because the C64/Pakratt guys keep having their machines lock up?

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html