Fwd: tremendous antenna modelling update- NEC2 in multithreaded assembler

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:03:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Bill Vodall wrote:

> Another little thing, antenna modeling, I hope to learn someday soon...

> > This guy decided to take on the very dirty task of rewriting the
> > 1980's FORTRAN code that makes up the NEC2 engine, and turn it into a
> > multithreaded, x86 assembler beast.

Not to trivialize the work this guy did, but really?  He took a reasonably portable implementation and made it very non-portable.

Good for him on the speed improvement, but sometimes speed isn't the most important factor.  A multi-threaded portable version would have a longer useful life, plus of course run on more systems.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...