FCC report

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:08:22 PDT 2012

> Actually, for ODFM on HF, there is no bandwidth limit currently. Chris Imlay
> the leagues council admitted this in the ARRL's bandwidth by regulation
> petition.  See page 11
>
> http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=6518181567

An opinion by the party petitioning the government doesn't necessarily
make it a true fact..   Regardless, we US hams are limited in what we
can do on HF for data (if not video) be it bandwidth or bauds or
signal rates.      The answer #1 to the 3 part quiz from yesterday is
exactly this.   The SCS Pactor 4 Dragon TNC is not allowed under US
rules..  :-(

It would be cool to use this new software from SCS and do UUCP...

"just in time for the new Dragon PTC from SCS you are welcome to try
the new Dragon Beamer,
a very simple method for robustly (CRC Hostmode) transferring computer
files via HF or Packet."

A posting which may or may not be true...

> Bandwidth is not the issue; data rate is. Take a look at 97.307(3).
> That is the reason Pactor 4 is not legal ; the symbol rate for Pactor 4
> notably exceeds 300 baud. You can argue about this until blue in the face
> but unless the FCC exempts Pactor 4, it is not legal for US amateur
> operation.

Not the forget the whole reason I brought this up - we hams should be
making a case to the FCC (and even ARRL) for these better technologies
instead of trying to get a bigger antenna and annoy the neighbors...

Bill, WA7NWP