4-port serial for PC

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:25:37 PST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Steve Stroh wrote:

> Still fantasizing about hooking up lotza TNCs to a PC...
>
> This looks like the successor to the fabled 4COM board that had 4
> serial ports on it.
>
> This is even better - PCI, 4x DB9s... better all around.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-RS232-Serial-Adapter-PCI4S550N/dp/B0000TNZGW/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327968946&sr=1-12

Careful.  I have some multiple-port serial cards that claim to be 16550 compatible.  They're not.  Quite.  They use their own FPGA and they got much of it right, but it doesn't have all the handshake lines, and doesn't handle some of the ones it _does_ have properly.

I yanked some of these types of cards and put in a couple of dual-port real 16550A (16552?) cards instead so I could play with YAM's.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
Babysitting your tracker:  http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ControlOperator