On the air this morning..

Grant Hopper kb7wsd at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:25:18 PDT 2014

John,
Charlie Mike as it was used on the repeater is actually more likely the
bastard child idea (or maybe I'll calli it what I think it is:  One of the
more moronic things to come out of amateur radio) of some emcomm folks who
thought the RST system wasn't specific enough and took a wireline/telecom
term from the 60's abused it like a blow up doll and called it a superior
way to describe the quality of a rf based communication (instead of using
RST which everyone knows.)

The result?  Much like the Jakovasaurs of Southpark fame we get something
broken, annoying, and ill suited to the claimed (or indeed any) purpose,
but staunchly supported by morons that want to be on the leading edge of
everything new (because it MUST be better.)

The system is called the Circuit Merit system:
http://www.vistacert.org/resources/signal_quality_circuit_merit_system1.pdfand
is based on some 'standards' that are identical to the Bell system
standards for technicians rating ling distance wire circuits.  Charlie Mike
5 is translated to one of two things:  "Full quieting into an FM repeater"
or "I'm a sad and lonely person and amateur radio is one way I try to feel
both important and normal, but exercising independent thought isn't among
my strong suits so I go with what seems cool."

I'm not sure if anyone gets the sense that I think this is both stupid and
adds to confusion on the air so I thought I'd make it clear... plain
language or noting at all!

73,
Grant
KB7WSD