[wetnetcafe] Looks like we'll have a VHF/UHF SDR this year

Kenny Richards richark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:15:41 PDT 2015

So setting aside my strong dis-like for Bruce and his attitudes, the
product they are describing has some interesting features. But I haven't
seen two big things talked about, which is going to be important for people
like most of us. Problem #1 - they don't seem to have anybody who knows how
to take a product and mass produce it. And that is a really tough problem.
Problem #2 - Most of us don't want to have a radio which requires hacking
the kernel to get it to work or for upgrades. We want something a little
more "put together", since we don't have the math background to 'develop'
new modulations/codecs or test equipment to play with things at this level.

Neither of the problems are impossible to solve, but I don't see this group
getting there. They may lay the ground work for the next group though and
that is goodness.  I just think something like the UDR has a better chance
given the people involved.