[wetnetcafe] Looks like we'll have a VHF/UHF SDR this year

Steve Stroh steve.stroh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:32:28 PDT 2015

Kenny:

Points taken.

What I've been observing of late is that once an interesting hardware
product actually does get out in the world, "community" tends to form
to support those of us who are in the position you describe (not
capable of kernel hacking).

Case in point is the SainSonic portable tracker - totally inscrutable
from the manufacturer, but it's usable because a community has formed
to support it.

I think it will be the same with both the "Perens project" and the
UDRX - community will form and that will make it usable.

>From what I've observed, I don't think the UDRX is going to be very
user-friendly, for example, no manual.

Speaking of community support, Bill WA7NWP goaded me into "writing
things down", and he found a good platform - free professionally
hosted locked-down-for-editing wikis at http://wikidot.com. It's
better than the (nothing) that I've been doing lately. Check us out:
http://wa7nwp.wikidot.com
http://n8gnj.wikidot.com (and more to come, including a more general
page for packet radio in general, and Seattle-area activities, groups,
etc.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ