SDR -- I knew it would happen eventually...

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Tue Apr 18 14:00:39 PDT 2017

SDR in the consumer price range is pretty limited to receive only.

A transmitter, while doable, needs filtering and band specific
amplification (without amplifying spurs and harmonics).

If you know the frequency of the gate control, you may find a small ISM
module to do what you want.

Maybe this will help get you started
http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Simple-Raspberry-Pi-433MHz-Home-Automation/

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Bernard Littau <bernard at littau.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Pretty much a lurker here on this list, but having a great time watching
> :-)
>

> So we were test riding our bikes down our street and made a u-turn by our
> newest neighbor, who had recently put in a full property six foot fence to
> protect baby from bears.  I’m not kidding, mom and toddler were outside one
> day five minutes before they spied a small bear outside, through their
> kitchen window.  With a fence comes a gate, and of course it’s an electric
> gate.  I own a small gate from the same vendor – Might Mule; so I know a
> little about the gates.
>

> My first thought upon seeing the new gate was: What would it take to hack
> their gate?  Short google later I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
> v=II3kHwo2Cpk
>

> I understand what he is doing.  My Nooelec dongle came yesterday.  Had a
> good time playing with it before bed last night, and was somewhat
> disappointed to find out it was only a recieiver.  So the Yardstick One is
> the transmitter. Duh!
>

> Since we have a gate, we have the problem of allowing friends and
> neighbors access.  Remotes are $25 a pop.  I have a RPi set up with a GSM
> hat.  Was thinking of having people sending a SMS text code to open the
> gate to the RPi.  I could hardwire the RPi to the gate, or I could hack a
> remote to send with a GPIO, but I really liked the idea of synthesizing the
> code and transmitting it like the gate hack video.
>

> I am looking at the Yardstick One, and right away see the HackRF One.  I
> was hoping for a $25 solution with NESDR dongle.  Now I know I need a $100
> Yardstick One.  The Yardstick One is not a SDR.  Do I really need a $300
> HackRF?  I hate being a techie, sometimes ;-)  The broader range and
> flexibility of the HackRF is appealing. Would like to know more about the
> transmit power on each.
>

> Anyone played with the Yardstick One and/or the HackRF One?  Are there
> other options you might know about?  The Yardstick One comes with a python
> lib that allows the gate code to be sent via a string of hex values.
> Cool.  Can anyone ball park for me what it would take to do this with a
> true SDR like the HackRF one?
>

> I knew the day would come where I would get into SDR.  Never thought it
> would be over hacking a gate :-)  Techies are weird!
>

> Thanks,
>

> Bernard
>
> KE7FEQ

John D. Hays