YANC - Yet Another (free) New Computer

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Sun Apr 23 06:49:04 PDT 2017

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:52:36 PM PDT Bill Vodall wrote:
> Hard to believe it was free same day delivery.  It was on the same cup
> of coffee between Ken showing the new little Asus Tinker board and my
> ordering it from Amazon.

First Impressions after firing up the Tinker board last night.

The good:
It seems snappier than an RPi3 (then again it should be).

Schematics and board outlines available for download.

GPIO looks to be identical to RPi so hats built for the  should be capable of
working on it.

The dissapointing:
Essentially no startup documentation.

Missing links all over the place on the website.

The downloadable kernel doesn't install any loadable kernel modules.  Among
the first things I tried was to set it up the way I do the RPi for the
repeater and there was no snd-aloop module to be found,  aand when I went to
the module directory it was empty.

No kernel source so I couldn't build my own modules to fix the above problem.

Maybe I missed something or maybe not but for now I've set it aside and I'll
get back to it later this coming week and perhaps find a way to solve those
issues.
--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
“I never am really satisfied that I understand anything; because, understand
it well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of
all I want to understand” -Ada Lovelace