On the air easy thanks to the Magic of Direwolf

Scott Currie scott.d.currie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 18:47:30 PDT 2018

OK, next test.
This is running VARA FM, the HF modem optimized for VHF FM links. Again
using Winlink Express in peer-to-peer mode, and sending a message with a
30K attachment.

*First test, running the radios in "1200" mode on 145.030MHz. Ideal path,
radios are 15' apart. VARA FM stayed in 3rd gear, but still very good
performance:*

*** Connected to Peer: NS7C @ 2018/04/16 01:28:59  USB Dial: 145030.500 at
2018/04/16 01:28:59
;FW: NS7C
[RMS Express-1.5.12.1-B2FHM$]
NS7C DE NS7C >
   ;FW: NS7C AUBURN-EOC
   [RMS Express-1.5.12.1-B2FHM$]
   ; NS7C DE NS7C (CN87WH)
   ;PM: NS7C 2FRWRG93VDEJ 30539 NS7C FW: test
   FC EM 2FRWRG93VDEJ 30658 30539 0
   F> AF
FS Y
*** Sending 2FRWRG93VDEJ.
FF
*** Completed send of message 2FRWRG93VDEJ
**** Sent 1 message.  Bytes: 30800,  Time: 01:19,  bytes/minute: 23174*
   FQ
*** --- End of session at 2018/04/16 01:30:32 ---

*Next with the radios set to "9600" mode. VARA FM shifted all the way up to
5th gear (top gear). This comes very close to 9600 packet!*

*** Connected to Peer: NS7C @ 2018/04/16 01:36:25  USB Dial: 145030.500 at
2018/04/16 01:36:25
;FW: NS7C
[RMS Express-1.5.12.1-B2FHM$]
NS7C DE NS7C >
   ;FW: NS7C AUBURN-EOC
   [RMS Express-1.5.12.1-B2FHM$]
   ; NS7C DE NS7C (CN87WH)
   FC EM EQOM22GUJT56 30834 30567 0
   F> C6
FS Y
*** Sending EQOM22GUJT56.
FF
*** Completed send of message EQOM22GUJT56
**** Sent 1 message.  Bytes: 30828,  Time: 00:47,  bytes/minute: 38905*
   FQ
*** --- End of session at 2018/04/16 01:37:25 ---

Of course, it is not AX.25, so no frequency sharing and no nodes or digi's,
but pretty decent performance.

-Scott

--
*-Scott*