[OT] Re: On the air easy thanks to the Magic of Direwolf

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Wed Apr 18 16:22:34 PDT 2018

Recently, the company I work for invited the director of the City of
Seattle EOC over for a brown bag as we're only a couple blocks from each
other.  The long and short of it is that anyone working in EMCOMM within
King County isn't looking to learn lots of new software or gadgets.  The
end user audience is essentially: office workers.  So that means phones,
faxes and emails - and HamWAN's allure.  If one could snap a picture and
transmit it over 2-way radio, even better as during the last Cascadia
exercise that was one of the highlighted "improvements" over previous
exercises. So, unless your passion is teaching entire offices of
quazi-governmental workers how to pass a FCC test or are content with
being the guy that's referred to "Oh, well.. we do have that guy over
there who could send a message for some logistical needs...", the
benefit in their eyes is purely being the backup of the backup when the
generator dies or CenturyLink's Central Office goes into a catastrophic
event.

As for the Win/Linux debate, being OS ambivalent, would like to remind
that Windows 10 is available for ARM processors in the IoT space - thus
likely could run dire wolf - let alone be ran on a $50 Kodi box.  If
it's as simple as some scripts and color coded cables to wire a radio to
the discriminator port  and your soundcard,  I don't see the fuss.

Software at today's computing power is way more adaptive than the 1970's
era IC's inside a TNC-2.  While I hate wasting perfectly good tech or
money, the fact that a RPi3 can easily outdo what an PK-900/232 can once
matching hardware is added - and it still fits into my pocket/bag vs my
PK-900 and it power supply and AEA Tomb of Knowledge contained in 3
rings and hardcovers just to work the thing.

In today's world and "sharing economy", maybe the better way would be to
Uber your shack out - whatever it may be - and get some side income just
for letting them burn your electric and heat the sky.  It would also
keep the waste down.  Only problem is the very nature of radio is
getting enough propagation.  While I can see every major city using one
or two logistical "wormholes" to span the empty distances, I can't see
the need to continue to carry every single boat anchor from now back to
1982 while touting how well today's tech is.

While I suspect many on here either has built or rebuilt a heathkit
either due to interest (mental or fiscal), I can't say the same for kids
under 30 today...   And tbh, it's a different world now with FPGA and
desktop 3d printer vs wirewrap and tuning your tubes or "filing" on
oscillator crystals.  Today's experimenters are doing it today - but not
on ham bands due to archaic content/speed restrictions.  It would be so
much easier to say, "These bands are reserved for experimentation and
not corporations."  While the novelty of talking around the world isn't
as big a thing anymore, the half-duplex of SSB/Voice or the magic of
wireless data still brings a interest and stokes the passion.

I think the hobby needs to align with that reality - or people need to
look to revamp citizen bands with digital technology.

my .02 de KL7EET