TNC archeology

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:00:46 PDT 2018

>> I have two 'fun' projects (6800 Sphere One and totally homemade TTL PC)
>> that will be able to make use of the features of Forth....
>
> I wrote Forth from scratch in machine-code for a 6803 at one point (RS Micro
> Color Computer). Did it in less than 2000 bytes. Used the Byte book

(re) building old machines starting in software leads to some
interesting design trade offs.  It's trivial to enhance the original
design with the Gigabytes and gigacycles available on the host - yet
that's all going to be lost when moving on to the hardware version -
unless the hardware is likewise enhanced.

The Sphere had 4 K RAM and 1K ROM.   The TTL PC had  ! K RAM 12 bits
wide, 12 data switches and no ROM.

The Sphere would run a 2 K Itty Bitty Tiny Basic with just enough room
for a Tic Tac Toe game.   TTL rotated a light...

I'm thinking that I'll be able to build a minimal, optimized for
space, FORTH for both projects using original hardware setup.

Bill